These cookies are a crowd pleaser at any reception you might host. They’re different enough and look like some effort has gone into them to get some attention but are actually surprisingly easy to make. I don’t think my mum has hosted a single family occasion without making them.
Or lusikkaleivät, as they’re called in Finnish.
- 200 g butter
- 15 cl sugar
- 40 cl plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- Bring your butter to a low simmer for 5 minutes. Once the foam starts to recede, pour the butter in to a bowl, add sugar and whisk until cool. Placing the bowl in a water bath help.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add to the dough. Mix until even and smooth.
- Press the dough into halved tear drop shapes using a teaspoon and place on a baking tray round side up.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in 175°C until they’re pale brown.
- Once the cookies have cooled down, spread a little bit of raspberry jam on the flat side and press two sides together. Finally, roll in sugar.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 30