Having always been a fan of shortbread, it’s surprising I’ve not made any before last week. I was inspired by our friend Sara Macdonald who gave some of her home baked shortbread to Darina for her birthday.
Turns out, shortbread is very easy to make. Just look at the main ingredients; flour, butter and sugar. Very simple, even regular bread has more ingredients.
- 125 g butter
- 60 g sugar and extra for topping
- 180 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 190C.
- Start by mixing sugar, soft butter, salt and vanilla using an electric whisk
- Add flour and mix until just properly mixed. You should now have a bowl of crumbs
- Press into brick using your hand and place on the work surface
- Roll into a 1 cm thick rectangular and cut into fingers
- Place the shortbread fingers on a baking tray and freeze for 5-10 minutes
- Once they’ve gone a little hard, roll them in sugar and place back on the baking tray
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they start looking golden brown around the edges
Be careful not to over bake or make them too thin, this will make them too cruncy. Unless of course, you want them too cruncy.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 12-20