Following on from my dough recipe last week, it’s time to spread some sauce on our pizza.
Relatively Quick and Easy Pizza Sauce
The sauce is a balancing act between sweet, salt, heat and, of course, quality of the tomatoes. It might take a bit of experimenting and trying out but as long as you don’t boil it for too long and are careful with seasoning, you’ll be fine.
- 1 onion
- clove of garlic
- 2 tins of good quality plum tomatoes
- 140 g tomato purée
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp chillie flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauce pan, add roughly chopped garlic and onion.
- Fry for 3 minutes or until they start changing colour a little.
- Add sugar and stir until the onions start caramelising, minute or two at longest.
- Pour in your tinned tomatoes and stir so the tomatoes break up. (Get the best plum tomatoes your money can by. Napolitana are available in most places and are pretty good.)
- Mix in tomato purée.
- Add seasoning, chillie flakes and basil, simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Blend very well with a hand blender
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Enough for about 8-10 pizzas.8